How to prevent alcohol poisoning

How to prevent alcohol poisoning

Alcohol poisoning is more common and life-threatening than many people realize.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are about 2,200 alcohol poisoning deaths occur in the U.S. each year.

Among the deaths, men account for 76%.

Diane Calello, executive and medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, provides important tips about how to prevent this health condition.

According to her, alcohol poisoning can lead to death or permanent brain damage.

People who drink a fatal dose of alcohol may stop breathing or choke on their vomit while unconscious. They may look asleep, but in fact, they may very well be unconscious.

To avoid and recognize alcohol poisoning, people need to do four things:

Know how much you’re drinking.

Many people don’t take into account the volume or alcohol content of their drinks.

According to the researcher, a standard drink is 12 ounces of beer (at 5 percent alcohol by volume), 5 ounces of wine (at 12 percent alcohol by volume), or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof liquor (at 40 percent alcohol by volume).

It is important to know that some craft beers often have a much higher alcohol content than they did in the past.

“Sleeping it off” may be dangerous.

People who are very drunk or has passed out may show early signs of alcohol poisoning and be in real danger.

It may be necessary to call for medical help when this happens.

Know the common signs of alcohol poisoning.

Important signs of alcohol poisoning include mental confusion, stupor, coma, slow or irregular breathing, blue skin color or low body heat, vomiting, or seizures.

Get medical help if needed

If you have concerns about alcohol poisoning and the effects of alcohol or alcohol-related illnesses, you should call 911 or the national Poison Help hotline: 1-800-222-1222.

Copyright © 2019 Knowridge Science Report. All rights reserved.